It was about 1 am. I had been out talking to a family about the signs and symptoms of their loved one's approaching death. I had been working all day and this was a late night "on call" visit. I was driving my company car with the UT HOMECARE logo on the side. Since I had been picked for speeding the month before I had placed my cruise control on the strait stretch before the left hand turn onto Hattie Branch Road. I tapped my breaks to release the cruise and toggled the wheel slightly to the right in preparation to make the left hand turn. That's when it happened. The vehicle behind me started flashing blue lights at me! I quickly pulled over, rolled down my window and reached for my driver's license.
When the officer got to my window he was laughing!.."What I got me was a tired homecare nurse!'' He said.."The way you started right then left made me think I had a drunk driver! I would not have stopped you if I had seen the sign on your car sooner. Do you think you can get home safely?"
I assured him I could.. and breathed a sigh of relief..glad that he had not tried to smell my breath for alcohol...I had eaten a onion covered hamburger to keep awake just a few minutes earlier. That may have caused a nasty surprise for him.
When the pager went off thirty minutes after getting home alerting me to another late night visit I had T get up and take me. I was not sure the officer would let me off so easily if he saw my car weaving on the road again..
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment