When I need to wear gloves I usually wear Large due to the wide palm that I have. This sometimes leads to little flaps waving off the tips of my fingers; my fingers are very short.
This sometimes causes a certain challenge, these short fingers. I remember when Sue Pankey, my nursing director at Keosauqua hospital tried to show me how to check a new mother to be for effacement and cirvical dialation. Now you have to understand that Sue was very tall and had these long thin fingers that any piano teacher drools over. She carefully demonstrated the proper technique to glove, KY and exam. There she was with the palm of her hand clearly visible..."Now, you do it." I got the glove, the KY and the exam began. However, by the time I was able to feel this poor woman's uterus I noticed that I was up to my elbows!
Somewhat the same thing happened when Ms Sue taught me how to do IV s. She instructed me to watch her...I did.. When she held the IV catheter you could easily see the blood backflow into the needle when you accessed the vein, right there between the thumb and index finger! Looked easy to me! Then I tried...there comes the short fingers again...For me to hold the needle the up was up under the palm of my hand...Oh, well I got the hang of it eventually..got quite good at it, too.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment