Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Tales From the Past

Here's another story..I think it rather amazing..
During the summer between by junior and senior year at Van Buren County Highschool I wanted a job off of the farm..I talked my mother in letting me take her little Falcon stationwagonand along with Sharon Hervey (aunt Sharon to some of you) went job hunting in the great city of Fairfield , Iowa.

We both filled out applications and by the end of the day I was very tired. I left Sharon off at Beer's Television store where her brother worked (yeah, it was Hollis) and headed out to the farm. Hiway #1 junctioned into Hiway #2 called the "Y" and this road was in the process of being directed. The signs giving directions were frequently gone and as I made the turn West towards the farm I saw two cars pulled over on the edge of the road. I noted that one was an older couple looking at a road mad and another car who I did not see well.

Back in the early 60's the speed limit was 70 mph..This was always a little interesting to be clipping along that fast and meet an 18 wheeler coming at you on those too narrow roads that had the edges turned up on each side to throw you back into the center...often into the oncoming vehicle. So, there I was , just picking up speed and noting the cars pulled over to the side on my right I moved my car to the left to give them a wide birth and accelerated to get around and pick of my travelin' speed.

Something went wrong at just that point. I turned the steering wheel back to bring the Falcon back onto my side of the road and the car started to respond...then the steering wheel did the most crazy thing it just spun around and around as I tried to get the car under control. I supose I breaked , and lost control...found myself rolling end-over-end and rolling sideways at the same time. When the Mother's car came to rest it was on its wheels heading East on the opposite side of the road. I was lying sideways on the frount bench seat with clods of grassy dirt all around me..Remember, this was a time when seat belts were not part of a car's standard equipment. I can remember my thighs coming up against the steering wheel of the car.

I slowly set up, just in time to see one of the other drivers who had parked on the side of the road come racing over and open then door and ask if I was ok.. He was shaking..and I think he had made a pit stop at one of the taverns in Keosauqua. I was shaken..but was scared to think what mother was going to say about her car!..

It was another time, another age and when this salesman, at least that is who he said he was, offered to drive my to the farmhouse I accepted. Mother immediately called Dr Worrell, our family doctor and persuaded him to look at me in his livingroom...So back into town I went..must have been in the dad's pick-up...Doc looked me over..I was breathing and talking ..so he pronounced me fit and sent me home.

Mother had to put her car into Loeffler's garage for repair was was upset that Mr. Loeffler bid the repairs just a few dollars below what the insurance company would have declared the car "totaled". Mother informed me I could work off the repairs on the farm..I did not need a job in Fairfield.

Dad had several questions..like , was I speeding (no, I was just picking up speed after the turn). Was there a bee in the car that distracted me..(no). Did I fall asleep? (No). There was a sheriff's report but no charges filed. 20 years or so later while working at the Van Buren Co Hospital I had Mr Loeffler as a patient. He remembered me and my mother's Falcon and asked if anyone ever told me what happened. He then related that that model of Falcon was known to rust out at the support that connected the frame to the body of the car. The amazing accident was due to rust...and maybe one of my angels... saved me. I think I have kept them busy.

There will be more to follow....Love, Mom

1 comment:

Helen Anderson said...

Great stories, Mom. Thanks. This past Friday I gave a speech at a special event for a local business. It was their annual Family Day and they employ a lot of engineers, so I told them my father was an engineer and I told them the story of your mother getting you to take a radio into his repair shop even though it didn't need to be fixed. And how he sold his radio to buy your engagement ring.