Friday, June 13, 2008

electronically challenged

HEY! I finally made it on my blog page!..Thanks to Beth for setting it up..now I just have to let all you children know... Beth wrote detailed instructions..but it took me a while to figure out out to make it work..then there is the internet kicking me off all to quickly..

Latest stories..: Thursday I left home at 6:30am and got home from work at 10:45pm...Long day but Friday is my scheduled day to be off...I was on my way home Thursday...reported in to the office that it was 6pm and on my way home. and in a rural mountain area almost in Kentucky. My supervisor advised me that one of my patients had just died...and oncall nurse was in Knoxville 65 miles away....and since I was closer ( only 35 miles away) would I like to go make the terminial visit?...Hey, they were my family...I had just been there a few hours earlier and new it would not be long...but you can never outguess God.. He had been my patient for only a few days and felt that I still needed to build raport with wife and family...Family was doing very well...strong Baptist faith..Sister-in-law told me that her sister was living in Kansas when she learned of her husband's diagnosis.."I prayed to the Lord that he would send them back to Tennessee so she would not be alone when he died.. The Lord is good, He sent them back here just in time." Before I left their home for the last time his wife hugged me, "I don't know how you can do this." she whispered in my ear...I whispered back.."I get to mingle with the angels."

Two weeks ago I was scheduled to see a patient here in Sevier county..It was the end of the day..and the week...His primary nurse had reported that death was immenent so I was not suprised to see him with labored breathing, he responded slightly to me when I arrived and I was in the process of checking his pain pump readings and taking vital signs when I realized that he was transitioning to the other side. His wife was beside me...and when I confirmed what she was seeing she asked me to gather the family around his bed...He passed peacefully and family said the roseary and Lord's prayer. There is always somethings special about the love that eminates in a room at this time...Just before the funeral staff arrived I asked the family if I could sing to them a little hymn, they agreed and I sang, "God Be With You til We Meet Again." When I finished a brother that arrived from out of state told this story: I have worked with hospice teams in the past and most recently with an uncle who just past a few months ago. His daughter was felt the loss of her father and was continuing to grieve..One night she had a dream where her father came to her and said , "Do not cry for me I am with my mother and father and baby sister. There are flowers and bright sunlight all around and I am waiting for my turn to go meet Jesus." The daughter asked her mother that next day if daddy had a baby sister , Her mother affirmed but said I didn't think you knew about her. Needless to say this story brought great peace to her..."Goin' Home" seemed appropriate..so I sang it...As I said before, I get to mingle with angels....I'm going to bed now...It is late and I'm making too many spelling errors..Love, Mom

No comments: