It was the end of summer and Mom had her Falcon repaired after my accident. We were all piled into this small car : Mom, Dad, Kathy and some of Joanne's children..Mother decided I needed experience in long distance driving and we were headed West..I am not sure of our destination..I had managed to navigate through Souix City, Iowa in the northwest corner of the state, got through the city and was on its western edge. Sometime earlier it had rained and big eighteen wheelers had left deep ruts on the side of the road not too far from a truckstop. There I looked up and saw the big rig coming at me and I pulled over in my lane as far as I could to let him get by me...Then it happened, the right frount wheel dropped into the deep rut along side of the road. The inexperienced drive that I was I jerked the car back on the pavement..overcompensating and I looked up to see the grill of the semi bearing down on me. My last thought at the time was, "I've killed my family!" braked and closed my eyes. Next thing I new was off on the side of the road almost in the truckstop parking lot shaking like a leaf. This sudden rocking of the car woke Dad and he said, "I think I better drive now." I did not give him any argument.
Many years later I was talking to Kathy about stories of our family and told Kathy that I did not know how we were not killed when the truck was bearing down on us unless there was an angel at the wheel. "Wow," Kathy said, "I just thought you were a great driver to get out of that". She too remembers seeing the truck bearing down on us and suddenly were were stopped and safe..
So, who wants to ride with Grandma!?
Love, Mom
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment