Saturday, September 12, 2009

Mono

Hollis and I got back to Ames from Arizona with 50 cents to our name and dad's Mercury. We had subleased an apartment from one of the members who went home over summer break so at least we had roof over our head..Hollis sat me down and explained that he was able to support himself and pay tuition with is job in Nevada, Ia..but if I wanted to live..I had to go to work...
Fortunatly I had already figured that out and had taken typing classes at the Y..so job hunting I went..became a stenographer for the Iowa State Library , Order Dept..
The last week of school at the Y had been stressfull ..I was in the school infirmary with a full blown case of mononucleosis..the"kissing " disease.. For some reason the doctors ordered me to have tranquilizers around-the-clock..I guess I was too hyper about missing classes..One of my typing instructors called the nurse at the infirmary and asked if were physically able to take the typing exam...nurse said..why not..I think she forgot about the tranqualizer..
I marched my self over the the classroom,, feeling pretty good!..Now you have to understand that in my shorthand class I had to use an old Royal typwriter that to make the platten turn up the page you hit a leaver th with you hand...but..in typing class we had the newer Slectrics..you punched a return button with you little finger...got that? I started taking the typing test on the Selectric..but forgot (tranquilizer ya know?) that I did not have to throw my hand across the bar at the end of the page..I almost fell out of my chair when my hand went up, wacked across the bar..that wasn't there and the momentum almost put me on the floor..I started giggling..and had a hard time completing the typing test...

No comments: