Sandy Schoeni was dating an ISU student also, Larry Dixon. Dad was on the school board at the time and word had come out that the trips to Chicago or New York were no longer going to be sponsered by the Schoolboard. Sandy and I put our heads together...We went to the Schoolboard with a proposal that the Seniors go to Ames , Iowa to VEISHA as an education toor and incentive to get the students interested in going on to college...Actually Sandy and I wanted a way to go to the Balls with our boyfriends...But it worked!
Mom even let me stay an extra day with the understanding the Hollis would put me on the bus from Ames to Fairfield on Sunday afternoon..Wow! We went to church at the Ames Methodist Church sunday, I wasnt too impressed.
Some months earlier at the end of the summer before Hollis and I were parked in the driveway at our house...Early morning..and had a long discussion about the concept of God. I never liked to lose an argument, I had been on the debate team my Junior year; is there any wonder that there are lawyers in the family? It was at this time that I realized that my testimony was weak. It was mostly based on my parents teachings. Mother started to turning the back porch light off and on , her signal that enough was enough. I vowed to myself that I would never be lacking a testimony again.
Dad must have been concerned about my dating a non-lds boy. I think he was the one that instigated the assignment to me for a talk at stake conference with the topic of "Why I want a Temple Marriage...." That got me to thinking..wow, choices
So as we were driving back from Ames to Des Moines to pick up the bus I began the conversation that while I loved him a great deal I could not marry outside my church, Then, I started to cry. He stopped me by looking at me and saying, "What makes you think I'm not interested in your Church?" What!!!....In shock I heard him tell me that he had been attending services in the Ames Branch and was making arrangements to take the missionary lessions during the summer at my house! I had a lot to think about on the ride home.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment