Sunday, April 5, 2009

singing

Some of my patients have asked how I can remember so many songs. They love to hear the children's songs and I have give 2 "Childre Sing" books away.

Most recently I sang, "Secret Garden" . I remember singing this song in Primary when we still lived in Arizona. I also love to sing, "Call of Love," but do not have an opportunity to sing that one very often. I think I have been singing most of my life.

I remember singing with my sisters in 3 part harmony. Barbara was soprano, I was 2nd and Joanne sang alto. I remember singing "May the Good Lord Bless and Keep You." Then there was singing in high school choir..and bootlegged in BYU University Chorale..

Dad was Branch President for a while in Keosauqua..When we were still meeting at the Community Hall on Main St. If we rode in with dad we were enlisted as part of the beer bottle clean up crew since the Hall was used for Saturday night dances. Anyway...Dad decided that we did not not have enought music leaders in the Branch so he enlisted the help of Marian Flake who had trained at Julliard's in New York, to teach the musically disabled how to lead music.

Fast forward a few years and we were in our small branch building that was built "cinnamon roll upon cinnamon roll". I remember my first time to direct music and Church, We had moved to the new building on Hiway #1. Sister Flake was at the organ, gave the introduction. I raised my hand in preparation........Why was Sister Flake playing? I turned and looked at her with concern..She whispered.."I follow the director, start the beat and I will follow." Wow! I never new such power. And I have enjoyed singing at Church ever since.

When I as dating Hollis and brought him to Church with me. I thought I had timed it just right so that I could sit in the back with Hollis...Sister Flake was playing prelude..Dad was sitting up in frount...I had just sat down , looked to the frount and there Dad was pointing at me to come up and lead the opening song....He would not take the "Gano" no look for an answer. It was then I realized that this was my life calling...and I do enjoy it. I love singing praises to God..Love, Mom

1 comment:

Coffinberry said...

Thank you for passing along that gift!