About three years ago someone gave me a tattered, old cardboard box with copies of music magazines and music books. I put it in the corner of the room not sure what I should do with it.'
Fast foreward to two months ago. I arrived a my patient's home to find her sitting outside under an umbrella. We made the usual greetings and then she asked if I had heard of a song called "Wafaring Stranger". I asked her to sing it to me. In a soft, whispery sweet voice she sang a few bars. I was touched and felt impressed that I needed to learn this sone.
I started looking by looking the words up on the internet and then looked in flea markets and bookstores for old songbooks and could not find the song. I returned home on my last attempt and turned and saw the old tattered box sitting behind the loveseat. The dust mites were stirred up as I started to plow through the magazines and there in the bottom was a book of American favorite songs. And there it was.
I brought the book to my patient and she was pleased that I cared enough to search for the music. I left the book .
The song touched me and I decided that I needed to lean it well enough to sing at November's memorial service. So I asked for the return of the music book. Before she returned it to me she asked me to sing it to her. I did..then she said, "You'll sing it at my funeral." She turned to look at me , "You will won't you." I'm not sure if that was a statement or question.
Friday night I sang it at her funeral...God moves in mysterious ways through a tattered cardboard box.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
I'm just a poor wayfaring stranger
While traveling thru this world of woe
Yet there's no sickness, toil, or danger
In that bright world to which I go
I'm going there to see my Father
I'm going there no more to roam
I'm only going over Jordan
I'm only going over home
I know dark clouds will hang 'round me,
I know my way is rough and steep
Yet beauteous fields lie just before me
Where God's redeemed their virgils keep
I'm going there to see my mother
She said she'd meet me when I come
I'm only going over Jordan
I'm only going over home
haunting song.
Miss Mabe learned it to me good. It was one of her favorites for music day. The song still floats to mind and I find myself singing it when I am alone.
I can still hear the 7th and 8th grade sing it with their deep mountain accents.
e-mail me at herveyrobert@yahoo.com
Post a Comment