I had a glorious day Saturday..It started out with a lunch with one of my widow's. I was humbled that she had a picture of me and her late husband on the coffee table of her home. It was good to check up on her and let her know that while it had been a year since her husbands death it was okay to still grive over his loss...
I left about 2 hours later and was thinking about where and what I needed to do next...I needed to go see a former patient that had been admitted to a residential hospice when his wife decided she could no longer physically take care of him at home. I debated about waiting until Sunday, maybe to go after Church services but eventially decided that if was going to go it would be best while I was already out and motivated.
I arrived at the hospice building and met his wife coming out..she walked me back to his room and told me that he was not longer able to remember friends and some family members. What a delight it was to lean over his bed, call his name and see him smile! He reached up and touched my face. He allowed me to give him a few bites of a frozen malt, and visited with him for just a few minutes . I could see that this little time was tiring him out.. In parting I asked him if I could sing to him..He said yes, and when given a choice between silly song or church hymn he surprised me and said church..I sang "I Am a Child of God." He gave me a hug again in goodby.
His wife walked me out..and we talked again about how rapidly he was progressing.
This morning, during Church my cell phone rang...I usually don't take it into Church unless I am on call and could barely hear it's muffled ring since it was burried inside my purse. I did not recognize the number..but I stepped out and returned the call..."He died this morning." She said, Thank you so much for coming and singing that special little song." She again said she had been amazed that he was able to recognize me....
Thank you Lord, for not letting me wait to go see this family..We both needed the chance to say goodby.
mom
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Hey, Mom, just wanted to leave you a message cuz it's too late to call... we just got back from Ben's Board of Review, and he was awarded the Eagle Rank.
Post a Comment